FROM THE AUTHORS OF TAKING SHAPE
COMES A NEW BOOK ABOUT A CERTAIN GOOD GUY...

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Rare Phantasm II Production Item Hits eBay

The eBay fun continues! Phantasm series crewmember Kristen Deem has posted another rare treasure to the auction website. This time it's a whopping 193 pages of music spotting notes from Phantasm II's post-production! So not only is this bundle production used.... it's also one of a kind! Considering how much people love both Phantasm II and its fantastic action-horror score, there's bound to be interest in this.

Kristen writes in the item's description: EXTREMELY RARE copy of the "Phantasm II" post production music spotting notes. Includes entire script action/dialogue, along with Code and Time counters (from ADR Post Production and Music editing) dated May 20 - May 21, 1988. This private notebook has been in storage in my closet for over twenty-eight years. I was a crew member on "Phantasm II" for almost one year, credited as Storyboard Artist and Unit Publicist. But I wore a lot of other (uncredited) hats on the production as well. My final assignment on the film was during post production in May and June 1988. I was called into Todd AO studios on the Disney Studio lot in Burbank, where I got to meet and sit with Fred Myrow, the composer (for P1 and P2)--a real honor for me. Over the course of a few weeks, I got to watch Angus Scrimm looping ADR sessions, and to watch Mr. Myrow working with Don Coscarelli on inserting music into the final cut of the film (I can't describe how powerful and overwhelming it was watching them loop the end credit music in that huge sound stage). 

For my assignment I was tasked with creating the "music cues" timing notes--logging both dialogue and timing so that foreign exhibitors could translate/dub the film into their own languages. I think these music spotting notes might be a final extension of my work as it mirrors a lot of what I did back then. In any case, it looks very thorough and is quite fascinating to read. Booklet is 193 pages long, with one page of handwritten notes. Pages are very slightly yellowed with age, and jacket has some very minor wear on corners (from shipping cross country from my residence in Los Angeles). I am moving by the end of this month and am reluctantly getting rid of most of my "Phantasm" collection due to transportation/storage considerations. This booklet is probably the most unique and rare item of my collection, likely never seen before in public."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Incredible Tall Man Balloon Art

I've always found balloon characters impressive, but this takes the art form to another level entirely! Enter Brad Wood , better known o...